Sunday 2 January 2011

Splendid Souls


I have been reading some quotes by the wondrous and spectacular artist Vincent van Gogh. Unbeknown to him, his creativity has miraculously had the power to ensorcell a tremendous number of individuals, including me. As with anything and everything we embrace in life, one cannot help but relate or compare it to our own view of existence and of truth. Vincent van Gogh suffered terribly from mental illness and the quotes I have read reflect this. Some of his words have the capacity to explain my thoughts most eloquently, and others, I find, are completely contradictory to my own experience and exploration of life.

This arduous episode has highlighted the beauty of so many people and “The more I think about it, the more I realise there is nothing more truly artistic than to love others.” I am endlessly amazed by how enterprising, considerate and attentive so many individuals have been; ranging from family, to close friends, to acquaintances, to the startling stranger! These splendid souls have taken the time to write, visit, entertain, offer advice, read my blog or just listen to my streams of consciousness. Vincent van Gogh is also quoted to have said, “One may have a blazing hearth in one’s soul, and yet no one ever comes to sit by it… I wish they would only take me as I am.” I am blessed and lucky enough that I cannot personally associate, at any level, with those sentiments. Most mortals seem to take me exactly as I am, for better, for worse, in sickness and in health!

There is one theory of Vincent’s that I truly hope I will be able to, in time, discern to be true, “in fighting the difficulties the inmost strength of the heart is developed”.  I am certain that difficulties make one contemplate the concept of inner strength to a greater degree, but, whether it leads to development or just increased angst, I am less clear of. Of what I am convinced, is that challenging situations often cause the splendid souls to surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment