Saturday 8 January 2011

STITCH ‘N BITCH


Stitch ‘N Bitch is an exceptionally appropriate book I have been lent. “It’s the essential guide for chicks with sticks”. As well as providing Christmas and Chanukah presents without having to grapple with the gaggles of citizens who morph into monstrous creatures around the festive period, knitting is an exquisite form of pain management. I also believe it has helped to control the cabin fever that did, at times, overwhelm me. The optimal concoction for distraction is for me to be furiously stitching and for a friend to be bitching ad infinitum. How could one possibly remember trivialities, such as degenerative intervertebral discs and major surgery in one week, one day and 17 hours 30minutes (to be approximate), during the former combination?

As I am wheeled off to the operating theatre, my mother will tease my needles from my hands, only for needles to be replaced in my hands minutes later by the anaesthetist. Stitch ‘N Bitch is, in fact, probably exactly what the surgeon, anaesthetist and team will be doing. Surgery is, in effect, just a slightly more highly regarded form of needlework and everyone knows, due to the accuracy of information in TV programmes such as Grey’s Anatomy and House, that all conversation during surgery is gratuitous gossip and bitching. It is therefore a logical conclusion that supplementary to the role of knitting in my life as a form of analgesia, knitting is a necessary and useful preparation for my potential surgical career!

5 comments:

  1. A beautiful post!
    I have crocheted since the age of 13 or so, and I find it has always helped me stay sane, especially during my worse moments as a diabetic.

    I wish you all the best in your operation, and your future knitting life. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off good luck with your operation, I hope all goes to plan.
    Knitting is a wonderful occupation of the hands but you definitely need some mind stimulation whilst knitting, I couldn't think of anything better than a good friend having a good bitch.
    You brought to mind my first c-section in 1994 while being stitched up late on Friday afternoon the doctors were discussing their weekend plans.
    This is the first blog post I have read and I hope to stop by and read more.
    All the best Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, very funny and accurate comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi

    Firstly wishing you good luck for your operation.

    I agreee that knitting is an excellent diversion from pain either physical or mental. My life is run by the amount that my pain allows me to do on a given day too. So anything that takes your mind of troubles for a bit has got to be a good thing.

    Best wishes

    Billie
    www.billiescraftroom.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a knitter with a chronic illness, I definitely back what you are saying 100%! And really love your blog, by the way.

    ReplyDelete