Friday 17 December 2010

Breaking Routine


On Pesach, Jews ask the question “Ma nishtana ha-laila ha-zeh mi-kol ha-lelot?”, “Why is this night different from all other nights?” Although we are far from approaching the Jewish festival of Pesach, I am plagued by a variation of this question. How to make this night different from all other nights?  

One of the beauties of Shabbat is that, at any level of observance, it is a departure from the normal routine of your days. Shabbat legitimizes us to have a time in our week to completely relax. In Israel, I experienced my, to date, most ecstatic Shabbat and yet it was so ludicrously simple. I lounged around in my pyjamas, dipped into interesting literature and continuously grazed on delectable delicacies. The problematic matter is that all my current days are spent executing the exact same former activities but unfortunately without the ecstatic feelings. If I were Pinocchio, my leptorrhine nose would be elongating, if I were to announce that I believed that conducting those pastimes tonight would result in that same fleeting, blissful vacation. I may not have presently discovered a solution to my question of how to break routine, but I have realized that Pinocchio and I have rather a lot of common ground. Like Pinocchio did when he was a puppet, I walk in a wooden fashion and again in the same way that Pinocchio wished to be a “real boy” of flesh and blood, I wish to again be a real, fully functioning girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment